Ovarian cyst is one of the common gynaecological problems a woman might encounter. Ovaries are tiny pea sized organs of female reproductive tract that are responsible for production of eggs in females. Cyst is a terminology which means fluid (e.g. water, debris, etc.) enclosed within cellular layers.
They can be mainly categorized in to two major categories:
- Physiological Cyst:
During the normal menstrual cycles physiological cysts can develop. These cysts develop due to hormones and go away themselves. They do not pose any problem to the patient are completely normal.
- Pathological Cysts:
These cysts manifest a disease. They are of three types discussed later in article.
Cysts may not cause any symptom if they are mild and without any associated complication. The major problem with cyst is that they can ‘rupture’. In other words the fluid contained in the cyst may burst out and cause problems. If this fluid is large in quantity it can cause hypovolemia and if it contains infected cells it may spread the infection.
Types of Cyst:
1. Dermoid Ovarian Cyst:
- Dermoid ovarian cyst forms from cells that are non-differentiated.
- It means they can develop in human tissues quickly because they don’t wait for cells to divide.
- That’s why it can be found in hair, skin and even teeth.
- Conversion to cancer is low.
- Formed due to endometriosis (a disease in which uterine cells grow outside the uterus).
- Cells may adhere to ovaries and form a growth.
- They are painful and cause discomfort.
- It contains fluid.
- They can grow to varying sizes even large sizes reaching to inches.
Symptoms of Ovarian cyst
The symptoms of ovarian cyst are as follows. All may not be present in every case and there can be variations:
- Lower abdominal or pelvic pain.
- Soreness in pelvis after sexual relations and vigorous exercise.
- Irregular menstrual periods.
- Pressure symptoms and fullness in lower abdomen.
- Pain during bowel movement or urination.
- Spotting on menses.
- Weight gain which may be sudden.
- Growth of hairs on body or even face.
- Breast tenderness similar to pregnancy.
- Headaches and pain associated with menstrual cycles.
- Bloating and muscular pain in ribs.
Different tests can be performed by doctor. Like:
- Blood test.
- Pregnancy test: As it can also present with overlapping symptoms.
- Endovaginal Ultrasound.
- CT scan.
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging.
Natural Cure for Ovarian Cysts:
For natural remedies herbs and supplements are available. The main problem with this disease is hormonal imbalance (particularly estrogen) that causes impaired ovulation.
- For decreasing estrogen levels on may take Diindolylmethane. Taken daily for minimum of three months.
- Avoid exposure to estrogens and xenoestrogens. You can do this by avoiding foods such as soy and mineral oil and skin products containing paraben.
- Avoid plastic water bottles
Herbal Alternatives for Ovarian Cysts:
- Maca Root.
- Black Cohosh.
- Dong Quai Root.
- Mil Thistle seed.
- Wild Yam Root.
Medical Options for Treatment of Ovarian Cyst:
This is mostly surgery. However, a specialized doctor will decide whether it needs to be done or not.